About 10% of the population is left-handed, and the main reason for this is still unknown. Yet, researchers believe that there is a link between the environment and human genes.
Left-handed individuals most often come from a family which contains a leftie.
The functions of the brain in left-handed and right-handed people are different, and lefties are often more independent than right-handed people.
Here are 24 facts about lefties you probably didn’t know:
– The term ‘left’ comes from the Anglo-Saxon word ‘lyft”, which meant “ broken and weak”.
– There are about 30 million lefties in the US.
– Around 5 and 10% of the world population is left-handed.
– They have a special day, which is on 13th August 13th- the International Left-Hander`s Day.
– Animals can be left-pawed too.
– 1 out of the 4 Apollo astronauts was left-handed.
– Left-handed people use the right brain part.
– This feature runs in the family. For instance, Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and Prince William, were all left-handed.
– 4 out of 7 states in the United States are left-handed.
– Almost all notorious killers in human history were lefties, like Osama bin Laden, Boston Stranglers, and Jack the Ripper.
– They reach puberty 5 months later than right-handed people.
– Left-handedness has been linked to musicality, creativity, criminality, neurosis, and homosexuality.