Almost 40 million Americans suffer from arthritis, a joint disease that causes pain and swelling in the joints. Arthritis is usually classified as osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis can develop with age. It’s typically caused by wear and tear on the joints. Many adults suffer from osteoarthritis in the knees. Rheumatoid arthritis on the other hand, is an autoimmune disease which causes the body’s immune system to attack the joints. Both types of arthritis can cause chronic pain and inflammation. Some arthritis sufferers opt for surgery to help reduce joint pain. For those who cannot or do not want to undego surgery, there are natural ways to help lower inflammation and manage painful arthritis symptoms. Natural remedies, such as a DIY arthritis ointment, can often help. (1)
If you suffer from arthritis, you know how painful it can be. Using healing essential oils and a carrier oil, you can make a DIY arthritis ointment to help reduce joint pain and manage arthritis symptoms. This specific DIY arthritis ointment includes frankincense, ginger and myrrh essential oil.
- Frankincense Essential Oil: Frankincense can help transmit messages to the brain, which influences the nervous system. The oil works to improve circulation and reduce symptoms of muscle and joint pain. Frankincense essential oil can help improve arthritis, as well as digestive disorders and asthma.(2)
- Ginger Essential Oil: Ginger essential oil is made up of sesquiterpenes, which have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. The oil can help provide relief from inflammatory conditions, such as arthritis and sore muscles. Ginger can also be used as a natural headache remedy.
- Myrrh Essential Oil: Like ginger, myrrh essential oil contains sesquiterpenes. It also contains terpenoids, which possess anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. The healing compounds in myrrh essential oil can help treat arthritis by providing natural relief from painful joints.(3)
DIY Arthritis Ointment
- Ginger Essential Oil – 6 to 8 drops
- Frankincense Essential Oil – 12 drops
- Myrrh Essential Oil – 12 drops
- Coconut oil or another carrier oil – 1/4 cup, melted
- Boil 1/4 cup of coconut oil or another carrier oil to melt it down.
- Place 6-8 drops of ginger essential oil into a cup.
- Add 12 drops of frankincense essential oil and 12 drops of myrrh essential oil.
- Add the melted coconut oil to the cup to mix with the essential oils.
- Transfer the mixture into a container with a lid where it can cool and be stored for future use.
- After the mixture cools, you’ll have a homemade DIY arthritis ointment. Rub the cream onto your hands, wrists, knees or anywhere else you feel pain, to help lower inflammation and provide natural arthritis relief. Use this treatment twice daily to combat arthritis pain. You can also take it with you for your next massage, and ask your massage therapist to work the ointment into your treatment.