I have been using Essiac tea for more than a decade now, although not for cancer treatment. I was initially introduced to Essiac tea to treat endometriosis—a painful disorder of the uterus lining. And later found out that it is an excellent herbal tea for cancer treatment, and so much more!
A BRIEF HISTORY ABOUT ESSIAC HERBAL TREATMENT
Essiac is the name of the founder spelled backwards. Rene Caisse (pronounced “reen case“) was a Canadian nurse who discovered a natural herbal formula that comprised four powerful herbs.
In 1922, Caisse had learned of these herbs from a woman who recovered from breast cancer. This woman shared that an old medicine man (from the Ojibwa Group People) had healed her using some herbs that he had taught her how to brew.
Two years later, Caisse’s aunt developed stomach and liver cancer and the doctors had given her only six months left to live. Caisse administered the herbal tea treatment and her aunt lived another 21 years with no recurrence of cancer.
Caisse and her aunt’s physician, Dr R.O. Fisher had then gotten together to experiment the herbal treatment further. Caisse gave up her nursing career and devoted all her time to Essiac research. Although there were many stumbling blocks and opposition from mainstream medicine, they had since healed thousands more seriously-ill cancer patients and various other diseases.
In 1959, Caisse met Dr Charles Brusch, John F. Kennedy’s personal physician. It’s a long story here with Dr Brusch, but to cut the story short … Later in life, Dr Brusch developed cancer and cured it with Essiac. Together, Rene Caisse and Dr Brusch has perfected this powerful, natural cancer treatment, called the Brusch-Essiac Tea.
In 1977, Caisse gave the secret formula to a Canadian company. The Canadian government allowed clinical studies on the formula’s safety and effectiveness. In 1982, the Canadian government withdrew its permission and neither did the company get the USFDA’s approval
The Essiac Tea Herbal Blend
Since the 1980s, other companies have tried to duplicate the formula, marketing them as either identical, similar or improved. Although they don’t claim to treat or cure diseases, consumers who self-treat themselves with these various formulas have recovered from many serious health ailments.
While the basic components of this herbal tea are well known, the exact proportions of the herbs per Caisse’s original formula are largely not known. Be concerned, however, with the quality of the herbs and ensure that they are processed and marketed by responsible establishments.
The Essiac herbal blends (whether 4, 6 or 8 ingredients) have generally been reported to be beneficial for normalizing the body systems by cleansing the blood, purging toxins buildup, promoting cell repair, preventing cell mutation, and aiding in assimilation of the medicinal properties.
The original Essiac mixture consists of four ingredients: burdock root, sheep sorrel, slippery elm and Turkey (or Indian) rhubarb root.
The Brusch-Essiac Tea (improved) formula blend are composed of the same four herbs, plus four additional ingredients: watercress, blessed thistle, red clover and kelp. This formula was then entrusted to a nurse, Elaine Alexander—a health researcher—who produced Flor Essence.
THE ESSIAC TEA HERBAL INGREDIENTS
Let’s take a closer look at each one of the ingredients used in this powerful herbal blend.
Burdock Root (Arctium Lappa)
Other names: Beggar’s buttons, clotbur, cocklebur, hardock, turkey burseed, gobo root.
The bulk of Essiac Tea is Burdock Root. Burdock is a close relative to echinacea and dandelion, very well sought-after for its healing properties. This herb is often used:
- to reduce cell mutation (prevents cancer)
- to strengthen the immune system
- as a tonic for the liver, kidneys and lungs
- as a blood purifier to neutralize poisons in the blood
- to detoxify the lymphatic system
- to promote bile secretion for a healthy liver
- as an infusion to rid ringworm, acne and rashes
Sheep Sorrel (Acetosella Vulgaris)
Other names: Dog-eared sorrel, field sorrel, red top sorrel.
Among all the ingredients, Sheep Sorrel is the main cancer-killing herb in the blend. It has a high amount of chlorophyll and is best used when young. This herb is used:
- to reduce inflammation and break down tumors
- as a diurectic for kidney cleansing
- to detoxify the liver for blood cleansing
- to improve intestinal and bowel functions
- to protect and rebuild red blood cells
- to strengthen cells walls and remove toxins from blood vessels
- to reduce radiation and chromosome damage
Slippery Elm (Ulmus Fulva)
Other names: Red elm, moose elm, Indian elm.
The fibrous inner bark of Slippery Elm contains many healing properties, among them:
- helps calm nervous and stomach problems
- soothes inflamed colon and irritable bowel
- eases sore throats and coughs
- promotes detoxifying effect of the kidneys through urination
- reduces swelling and internal bleeding
- works as a natural laxative for cleansing of the gastrointestines
Turkey Rhubarb Root (Rheum Palmatum)
The root of Turkey Rhubarb has been used for centuries as a laxative and purging properties. This herb is used in varying amounts for different purposes:
- to treat diarrhea and improve digestion
- to restore the liver by cleansing and promoting bile flow
- to reduce and shrink tumors
- as an aid for burns, sores and skin breakouts
- to regulate menstruation and normalize flow
- to improve blood flow
The Four Additional Ingredients In Improved Formulas
Watercress is bitter and used to improve appetite and digestion. It is great for detoxifying the lungs and improve conditions such as asthma, cough and bronchitis. One of the key compounds in watercress is a substance called rhein that retards the growth of harmful bacteria, yeasts and parasites in the intestines.
Blessed thistle is often used by natural healers for detoxifying and supporting the gallbladder, lungs, kidneys, liver and the reproductive system. It helps to combat conditions such as jaundice, hepatitis, arthritis, respiratory problems, menstrual disorders, infections and many more!
Red clover is one of the richest sources of isoflavones that are known for their effectiveness in treating some forms fo cancer. Isoflavones prevent cells mutation and retards or destroy cancer cells.
Kelp is a sea vegetable that is a rich source of iodine, essential for healthy thyroid functions. It helps to normalize metabolism in cells, increase energy levels. Iodine is an important ingredient that many people are deficient in, and which can lead to many health problems.
WHAT ARE ESSIAC TEA BENEFITS AND CONDITIONS IT CAN TREAT?
The combination of these four powerful herbs gives a good cleansing to the blood, kidneys, liver, colon and reduces inflammation and tumors. That seems to address many modern diseases and ailments!
I worked with a company selling Essiac Tea and have personally seen and heard how Essiac Tea has been used to treat these conditions successfully:
- Cysts, fibroids, benign tumors, mastitis
- Endometriosis (my personal experience)
- Normalized menstruation and improved flow
- Chronic stomach and bowel problems
- Reduced blood sugar levels in diabetics
- AIDS and HIV blood counts have improved
- Skin diseases such as acne, psoriasis and eczema
- Work issues such as shingles, ringworm
- Reduced inflammation and increased flexibility of joints
- Increased energy levels and improved sleep quality
- Various types of cancer
HOW TO USE ESSIAC TEA
Essiac Tea is taken orally and on an empty stomach. Nowadays, it comes in various forms: Capsules, soft gels, liquid extract, powder mix, tea blend or tea bags.
Of these many forms of the Essiac formula, I tend to favor the powder mix which means there is least processing. The herbs are dried, crushed and pulverized into powder form. You brew this powder and consume all the herb particles, instead of filtering them through tea bags. Here’s a good recommendation of Essiac Tea in powder form.
How To Brew Essiac Tea
It’s a little work to brew the powdered mix, but it can keep refrigerated for up to two weeks, although I recommend to consume within a week.
- Fill a stainless steel pot (never use any aluminum vessel) with 16 ounces (about ½ liter) of distilled water (preferred) or spring water. Put on stove to boil.
- Add in 2 ounces of Essiac blend powder into the boiling water, turn down heat to simmer and cover with lid.
- Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat.
- Let sit with lid on, overnight (for 12 hours) at room temperature.
- Stir the tea and funnel the brewed tea into air-tight glass jars/bottles. Do not use plastic containers.
- Refrigerate and consume within 1-2 weeks.
How To Consume Brewed Essiac Tea
You may find differing instructions with different suppliers of the Essiac powder mix, but basically:
Shake up the jar as the powder may have settled to the bottom. Pour out about 3 ounces of the brewed tea into a cup, and add 3 ounces of distilled water (or spring water). Stir and drink. You can also drink the brewed tea without adding water but it is bitter.
It is recommended to drink Essiac tea on an empty stomach, about 30 minutes before food, or at least 2 hours after food.
- For maintenance and minor ailments: Drink 2 ounces of tea twice a day.
- For cancer and other serious ailments: Drink 3 ounces of tea up to three times a day
ESSIAC TEA PRECAUTIONS
No matter how good this tea is said to be, it is not for everyone. Initial consumption may cause certain pain and healing reactions in some individuals. Tumors could appear to enlarge before they are broken down. Avoid if you have a brain tumor!
Essiac Tea cancer treatment may be effective for newly diagnosed cancer patients who do not have fast-growing cancer that has not spread significantly.
If you are an advanced cancer patient who has gone through chemotherapy, radiation or surgery, Essiac Tea should be consumed only as a supplemental protocol, and not as the primary cancer protocol.
If you are on any medications, do check with your doctor before consuming Essiac Tea.
Essiac Tea is potent and powerful. It is not recommended to be consumed by women who are trying to conceive, pregnant and nursing. It is also not recommended for children under the age of 12.