The most fantastic lesson we have learned about losing weight is regulation of hormones. A lot of people put their emphasis on what to eat and what not to eat. This post is going to be a whole new kettle of fish for you. Today we are going to point out some great ways to reset six hormones that can cause undesired weight gain. If you want to lose weight, it’s essential to reset these hormones because these hormones store glucose in our body as fat cells which later result in weight gain.
It has been said that insulin is the hormone which regulates intake of glucose. When our consumption of energy goes beyond the energy expenditure, we store more glucose than we required to burn. Our liver and muscles cells save this extra energy in the form of ‘glycogen.’ Finally, the fat cells present in our body store this excess glucose as fat which causes weight gain. Basically, we can say that when insulin is unable to process glucose, our body stores this glucose as fat.
How To Manage Insulin Levels
- It’s strictly recommended to follow a low-carb diet plan to prevent the increment of glucose levels.
- You should increase the intake of high-quality protein foods or foods that can improve your body sensitivity to insulin. You can eat foods like pomegranates, peppers, high-fiber grains, berries, avocados, egg white, milk, and meat.
- Build a habit of doing some regular exercises in your daily routine. It will help you to deal with weight gaining hormonal issues.
- Before buying any foods, you should check on food labels that whether they are high in carbs or not. In order to so, you can find words ending with ‘-ose.’ You will see a lot of names like fructose, sucrose, maltose, dextrose, etc. And anything that ends with ‘syrup’ is considered as high fructose concentration. So avoid these foods as much as possible.
A couple of hormones controls our body’s appetite. Leptin is one of them. It maintains our appetite and energy balance significantly. In some conditions, our body resists leptin hormone. When our body ignores the signals given by leptin, we aren’t able to feel that we have actually eaten enough food and we should stop eating right now. If you are surviving on a high sugar diet or having excessive alcohol, we want you to stop because this practice will eventually spike your leptin levels, and it’s essential to maintain good leptin levels to lose weight.
How To Maintain Good Leptin Levels
- First of all, improve your sleeping pattern, it’s essential for you to take at least 7-8 hours of sleep at night. when you sleep 7-8 hours, it helps you in keeping proper metabolism which later results in prevention of weight gain.
- If you are that kind of person who bet to eat all the stuff in just five minutes, then you are entirely wrong in this scenario because fast eating can directly affect your blood sugar level and also impair the digestion. The fact is that when you slow down, you most likely to avoid overeating.
- Stop eating sugary snacks and high carb foods.
- Quit alcohol because it tends to spike your leptin levels.
- Avoid fructose-rich fruits like melons or pineapple and include some vegetables in your diet plan.
Cortisol is a stress hormone which helps in the regulation of several reactions during stressful situations. Increased cortisol levels can affect your overall body in many ways:
- You can’t sleep properly
- You crave more for carbohydrates
- You go in a state of hypertension
Ultimately, all the above cases lead to weight gain. Studies have shown that when we are in a bad mood, we crave more for sugary items. Also, lack of sleep is linked to resistance to insulin.
How To Reduce Cortisol Levels
- In such condition, it’s essential for you to sleep at least 7 hours every night. Foods that contain melatonin and tryptophan are best for you because these foods can provide you better sleep. You can try turkey, cottage cheese, cherries, and kiwifruit. Moreover, please stay away from electronic devices and caffeine before 2 hours of sleep.
- When we workout, our body releases endorphins which are one of the moods enhancing hormones. So exercise every day to maintain good cortisol levels.
- You can also do some yoga or meditation to release some stress.
- Use your creativity and indulge and listen to soothing music to increase cortisol levels.
- Balance Estrogen Hormones
It is popularly known as female sex hormones, but many people underestimate its importance in other aspects. It plays a crucial role in regulating our body weight. However, it governs insulin levels in our body and also ensures whether our body has a steady glucose level or not. We can’t deny the fact that an imbalance of estrogen can be harmful. Too much of it can occur due to high consumption of dietary products like meat. And too little estrogen happens when someone has a polycystic ovarian syndrome or dealing with obesity. After all, such fluctuations can put you at the risk of insulin resistance where the most of the glucose remains in the bloodstream and body starts storing extra glucose as fat.
How To Balance Estrogen Levels
- If you lack estrogen, you can eat fresh vegetables, fruits, fish and whole grain items. Also, Avoid caffeine in this process.
- If your estrogen levels are very high, eat cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage and broccoli.
- Stop consuming alcohol because it can affect the ability of your liver to metabolize estrogen.
- Soy includes plant estrogen as isoflavones which can effectively increase your estrogen levels. However, you should not take soy-based supplements from the market because these may contain some harmful chemicals.
- Finally, when you eat high fiber foods, your estrogen level decreases. Moreover, It will be good for you if you eat 20-30 grams of fiber per day.
- Do You Have Enough Testosterone?
This hormone is opposite to that of estrogen. It is popularly known as male sex hormones. It is an important hormone which is a component of both men and women. Those who don’t have enough testosterone tend to have lower muscle mass and high-fat mass in their bodies. Such condition leads to reduced metabolic rate. On the other side, the deficiency of this hormone is linked to elevated triglycerides and cholesterol levels. Sometimes we also see reduced insulin sensitivity. Now you are in a great position to examine yourself that in what way the lack of testosterone can gain weight.
How To Increase Testosterone
- To increase testosterone levels, you have to cut down foods that contain phytoestrogen like soy.
- Avoid high carbohydrates foods and alcohol.
- Do workout and lift some weight in the morning.
- You can also eat tuna, egg yolk, and fortified cereals to increase testosterone levels.
- Thyroid Hormones
A lot of people don’t even have the idea that this hormone can also gain weight. Thyroid hormones such as T3 and T4 play a significant role in body weight management. Actually, these hormones are the ones who determine the rates of all metabolism cells present in our body. An underactive thyroid makes our metabolism rate inactive and put on excess weight to our body. Along with it, you may also suffer from fatigue and tiredness. However, it can’t be controlled entirely, but we can take care of it to lose weight.
How To Treat Thyroid
- Cutting down on foods like iodine, soy, caffeine, and refined carbohydrates can be a great way to treat this. You need to add more proteins in your diet but don’t eat gluten. In addition to this, you can also cook goitrogenic vegetables such as spinach, kale, broccoli, or cauliflower.
- Get some sunlight so that you can also get Vitamin D.
- Practice techniques or tricks that can reduce stress. We said so because thyroid problems are mostly associated with our tension.
If you know anyone else who have tried tons of methods to lose weight and still can’t. Share this post with them and we believe that they will thank you later.